8 Tips For A Better Natural Hair Journey

Very often, you see YouTubers making  natural hair seem like one very easy ride and making you want to grow natural hair, but what they never tell you is that this natural hair journey is not for the faint at heart. Believe me, it isn’t beans. I know because I have been wearing my hair natural since January 2014.




That’s two years of hardwork, shea butter, spray bottles, coconut oil, argan oil, olive oil, black jamaican castor oil, peppermint oil, hemp oil, "vegetable oil, palm oil, and who knows, engine oil?" I have to admit that there have been good days too, when I got so many compliments, to which I just smile and said to myself, “If only they know how much work goes into this”.  Such days are like finding an empty filling station in Lagos right now that’s selling fuel at N86.5, rare!

You probably still don’t believe me, especially considering the rate at which Nollywood actresses are wearing their natural hair these days!


Well, the following tips might be useful to you if you are already on the journey, (I hate when they call it that like it’s some deep stuff. It really isn’t that serious, it’s just hair) or intend to.

1. Keep An Open Mind

This is very important. Just when you think that putting raw eggs, avocado and bananas on your hair is the most ridiculous thing you’ve heard, someone might come and advise you to use blended ogbono and palm oil, because it will help stop breakage and retain length. There’s no harm in trying these things, so just do. You can buy ugwu, and meat and just like that, Ogbono soup is ready; win-win situation. :-) 


2. Do Not Be Carried Away

Don’t kill yourself because your hair isn’t like "Nikki’s or Yagazies". What you don’t hear, is that there is a foreigner in the lineage. How can you compare them with you that has no trace of "oyibo anything" in your entire lineage?
Or imagine wishing you had hair like Freddie Harrel only to realise that she’s been wearing wigs all along.
Recognise your pace and work with it!

3. Be Prepared To Splurge On Hair Products And Services

The struggle is not inexpensive, trust me. You will need to buy one hair product or the other from time to time. Even natural hair salons have their wahala. Cornrows that any random person would normally charge N500 max for, now costs a lot more in these salons. But because they likely understand and work with your hair type better, you are obliged to pay. Cold world!


4. Do It Yourself

After falling out with a number of hairstylists because they kept complaining about my hair like they were not getting paid for styling it, I had to remind myself that I actually learnt how to do cornrows in high school.
This has helped me in no little way. 90% of all the times my hair is not braided, I style it myself. Helps save money and headaches.

5. Find Fellow Naturalista Hair Stylists

I might be wrong, but I think that the best natural hair stylists are fellow naturalistas. This might be because they feel the pain. However, there are still the ones that would attempt to use a tail comb on your mane. Lord, have mercy!



6. Invest In A Good Wig

Although I’m only just starting to get over my fear of wearing wigs(which is mainly because I imagine one oversabi friend yanking the thing off my head in public), I think wigs are a great means of preventing bad hair days. Wig-makers are the real MVP, they even make braided wigs these days. How awesome is that?!

7. Relax Your Hair

Truth be told, some days, I have contemplated going to the nearest salon to have my hair relaxed, but what keeps me going is the thought of how much work and money has gone into growing the hair thus far. 

Seriously, If the headaches become unbearable and you lose faith eventually, please have your hair relaxed. Hopefully, your scalp doesn’t roast.

8. Shave It All Off

You see, nobody will hand you a trophy at the end of your life for carrying a head full of hair. If all fails, go to the nearest salon and cut it off. After all, no be by force! Imagine being able to pour water during a bath every time. Bliss!

This might however, not fit all shapes of head and face. Then again, wigs will come to the rescue!

Once you get over all the wahala involved, natural hair can be fun and interesting. I particularly like that we can do almost everything with it.

What are your hair struggles and how did you find your rhythm? Kindly share in the comments box below. Thank you. 

Until my next post, ciao! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Rules For Wearing Suspenders. Number 1 is a Must!

Facts About The Akwete ( Igbo ) Fabric.