Giving my hair some TLC (tender loving care)


Dear Naturalistas!

I finally took out my six weeks old braids. Phew! I've been wanting to spoil my hair a little with some much needed TLC (tender loving care) and yesterday was just that day ;). I tried some of my DIY remedies and my hair has never felt better!

I started the entire process by 10:00pm, though exhausted, but that was the only time I had. Feel asleep at some point ;)...hehehe (don't blame me jare!)

First thing after I took out my braids was to detangle (worst job ever!). Each strand seemed to have a mind of its own and at that moment, decided to "love their neighbour as themselves" (no be small fight!). I parted the hair into six sections, tackling each mound till every tiny knot was untangled. In order to help my hair growth, I chopped off about 3.5 inches from my tips (yup, you heard right! Big decision but am loving it ;-) ).

Untangling 


TLC - THE  PROCESS 

Step 1: Pre Poo (Hot Oil Treatment)

Ingredients:


  • Coconut Oil


  • Jamaican Black Castor Oil


  • Peppermint Oil


Applying the hot oil treatment 

I mixed these three essential oils together in a bowl, heated in the microwave for like 10 seconds to help mix properly, and then proceeded to rub on my scalp, working through my hair from roots to tips. Then I covered my hair with a plastic cap (shower cap) for fifteen minutes. To aid penetration, I applied heat using a hand dryer and 15 minutes later, I washed off the oil with warm water (sans soap), patted dry with an old tee shirt and moved on to the next stage. 

Rinsing out the hot oil treatment 


Step 2: Hair Mask 

Ingredients:

  • Pure Honey
  • Apple Cider Vinegar 


Applying the hair mask

I mixed these two ingredients together and applied on my scalp, working through from roots to tips. I allowed this to sit for another fifteen minutes And rinsed out with warm water.
(Notice at this point that I haven't washed my hair with a shampoo.)

Rinsing out th hair mask

Step 3: Wash and Condition

Ingredients:

  • Dark n Lovely Au Naturale Shampoo (Anti Breakage, Tension Release Hair Wash)
  • Dark n Lovely Au Naturale Conditioner (Anti Breakage, Strength Restoring Conditioner) 


Washed my hair with the shampoo and then applied the conditioner to help me comb through all the mounds. I allowed the conditioner sit for like three minutes and then rinsed off with warm water, patted dry with my good 'ole tee.


Step 4: Deep Conditioning 

Ingredients:
  • Pure Honey
  • Beautiful Textures (Rapid Repair) Deep Conditioner 
  • Aussie (Three Minute Miracle) Deep Treatment 



 Applying the deep conditioning treatment

Covering hair with a plastic cap

Dozed off with my silk scarf firmly tied

Mixed all three ingredients in a bowl and applied on my sectioned hair working through from roots to tips. Took time massaging my scalp while ensuring that each strand of hair was properly coated. I twisted each section before covering with a plastic cap and topping it up with a silk scarf.

At this point, my eyes were fighting to stay open (no be small thing, but wetin I for do?). I lost the battle and feel asleep while waiting ;-).

Woke up by 5:00am and rinsed off the treatment with warm water first and finally, my green tea rinse. I patted dry with an old tee shirt.

 Washing off the deep conditioning treatment 
Tea rinse

Step 5: Styling 

Ingredients:

  • Beautiful Textures (Taming Tangles) Leave-in Conditioner
  • Hawaiian Silky (14-in-1) Miracle Worker
  • Coconut Oil


 After applying all three ingredients, I sectioned my hair and twisted into large twists. I don't blow dry my hair, rather I allow to air dry. I styled the twists with cute pins and off to work I went!





I hope I didn't bore you with the long post. You can try this as well and please let me know how your hair felt afterwards. You don't have to use same hair products as mine, find what works for you and stick to it.

I'm gonna be incorporating palm kernel oil, mashanu and henna into my hair care regime soon (of course I'll tell you all about it). I have great hair and wellness goals this year and I will continue to take baby steps in achieving them.

Xoxo :-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Rules For Wearing Suspenders. Number 1 is a Must!

8 Tips For A Better Natural Hair Journey

Facts About The Akwete ( Igbo ) Fabric.